Saturday 10 February 2018

Introduction

                                                                                                         
My name is Grant Miller and I gave up eating meat over 30 years ago.


The initial reason was because I was concerned about the safety and methods of meat production.  I was watching a documentary about mechanically recovered meat (MRM).  MRM is meat residue which is left on the carcass after all the prime cuts have been removed.  It is pressure-blasted off the bones by machinery and forms a reddish slurry which resembles mince. I thought – that doesn’t seem right.

I continued to eat fish for a while longer as well as dairy and eggs.  Fish was next to drop off my dining list. I continued as a lacto ovo vegetarian (dairy and eggs)
Eating out was a bit of challenge back then. I remember being given a bowl of soup, which I understood to be vegetarian, only to find bits of chicken floating on the top.  The solution suggested by the waitress was to pick the bits of chicken out!
How things have changed, and the barrier of eating out is no longer a valid reason not to go vegetarian or vegan, plus you always get your food first on aeroplanes.
I must confess I started eating fish from time to time again, not least because I thought that it was good for me, based on mixed messages in the health and nutrition world.  It is apparently good for the brain, but then there is the heavy metals issue, which may lead to dementia. It seemed easier just to stop eating it.
Since February (2018) I am now following a plant based diet, no dairy and no eggs.  It is a minefield, and whist there is a huge amount of information out there, when it comes to nutrition, it is never straightforward . I am hoping that you will join me on this journey and that together we can become enlightened by caring about what we put into our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RETURN TO EARTH According to the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO), roughly one-third of the food produce...